Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Raw Food/Eating Clean Diet - Why it Worked for Me but only on the Short Term

Last week I decided to really dedicate myself towards eating as clean as possible and attempting to eat food as close to it's natural state as possible, i.e. raw. It is a new concept for me, as cooked food has just been my natural choice...naturally! However lately I have warmed to the concept of eating food as close to their original state and as they should be. Last week I put together a little plan for myself and gave it a go, to see how I would manage. I did it over the course of five days. Here's what my diet consisted of:


Before Breakfast - I drank mugs of hot water with lemon, up to four cups (a liter) before I had breakfast and after my 600ml bottle I had during yoga in the morning. Lemon water is fantastic because it gets your internal organs moving and helps with detoxifying the body.


Breakfast - I mixed together (in my magic Ninja) a combination of a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a cup of blueberries, a handful of spinach, a half cup of water and some coconut oil. Sometimes I threw in some goji berries as well. It was quite delicious!



Lunch - I had a very vegetable based lunch consisting of a green capsicum sliced in half filled with celery, tomato, carrot and homemade hummus - so delicious but perhaps a bit garlicy for work!


Afternoon snack - I had a few nuts and another shake made up on water, whey protein powder and a banana. I love this shake so much. I know that the powder is not exactly natural, but I would struggle without it.  


Dinner - I made up a soup using my Ninja as well, consisting of corn, zucchini, capsicum, carrot, chilli flakes and water. I had to slightly warm this as the concept of eating it cold was a bit disturbing.



So how did I go, well I lasted the five days fine and I did feel great. I found that instead of craving fatty foods and what not, I simply craved a warm meal. I lost a kg from being on this plan and I learnt alot about myself and my relationship with food. HOWEVER, I would not be able to do this for a long length of time, I think cutting out food groups like your meats, dairy and carbs, is too hard to maintain over a long period, it is a great way to detox though. I have decided to use the principles of raw food across my days, by eating raw food for breakfast and lunch but having my nice warm, yummy salmon for dinner.

Have you tried a raw food diet? What did you think?

1 comment:

  1. This all looks really good! Except for the soup.. It looks yummy but then I pictured it being cold... Luckily you warmed it up! Did you just blend all that together with water? Everything else looks great though! Lunch looks yummy. I've never tried a raw food diet before.. It would be ok in a really hot country, but not here at this time of year! Maybe a good idea could be raw during the day and then at night we could have warm food! .. sorry for the essay haha xx

    ReplyDelete